Pages

July 27, 2014

Fold-up Fabric Needle Holder


Is this thing darling, or what??

I don't know about you, but I'm always digging around in my sewing box for a needle.  Ripped seam, popped button, (heaven forbid I actually have to hand sew something, but it happens.  I do so love my sewing machine...).

My needles are usually on my magnetic pin cushion, but they are hard to find (insert joke about needle in a haystack) and I'd rather have the needles in their own, designated place.  

I first saw one of these types of needle holders at my friend's house.  She's had it for a while, and loves hers!  I made myself a pattern, and it was a fun project.  

Turns out, it was a very similar project to a needle case that Khris from Sew Prim Khris posted on her blog a few years ago.  If you'd like the pattern and tutorial, head on over to her blog to see how she made it.  

When I made mine, it came out in more of a heart shape, so if you'd like a copy of the shape I used, feel free to email me.


To make it stiff, I used fusible batting and ironed it to one of my fabric pieces, because I sewed around mine and left a hole for turning. Interfacing or fusible fleece would also work for this method. With 3 kids, I'm happy if I don't have to make an extra trip to the fabric store - so I always search around for something I have on hand that might work!

To easily know where I was sewing the felt down, I used a disappearing ink fabric pen (or a really light pencil mark would work) and a ruler to make lines between opposite inward points.


In order to make it fold properly I ironed the folds.  This really helped me when trying to make that nice folded shape at the end.  If you start by placing the tab up, fold the flower shape diagonally to one side and iron, and then fold it diagonally the other way and iron.  It will be folded along the sewn lines when done this way.


Once everything was tucking in where was supposed to, I ironed it again very well to reinforce the way it should fold.

For the closure, I used a small piece of Velcro on the end of the tab (again, used what I had on hand!), and a decorative button over it.  You could even use a functioning button with a button hole if you don't have Velcro handy...


Awesome!  Now, I have this great fabric needle holder - with the needles securely in the felt, no lost needles because it folds it up into a cute little bundle for safekeeping.  
This is such a quick project, you'll want to make a few for your friends.  And they will love them too!  I think I might make some of these as Christmas presents (too soon? ;) )


image signature
Follow me on Facebook




33 comments:

  1. Lovely! Thanks for sharing!
    Nurdan from Hug-a-Bit Quilts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precioso. Gracias por compartirlo. Un saludo. Adela.
    www.adela-mi-rinconcito.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these are great ideas for Christmas gifts. And at the speed I get projects accomplished...winter should be done in summer and vice-versa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like this idea. I will make them to put into operation Christmas Child shoebox gifts. Great for the ,10 to14 year old boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can remember my mum having one of these when I was a kid... Thanks for the tute

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the fab tute, I can remember seeing these in my mum's sewing stuff years ago. This will make a great gift for sewing friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it Can't find where toemail you from my phone though. Can you email me the pattern please. Geezbees75 at Gmail dot com.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great idea. was trying to come up with an idea for the goody bags my guild makes for our annual retreat and this is going to be it... but instead of sewing and turning, I am going to pink the edges and do it that way... less work when you have to make 25, thanks for the idea

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute!!! And a great Idea, I will try to do
    Thanks to share

    ReplyDelete
  11. Could you please email me the pattern. Lryan133@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Could I have the pattern please
    shwill2432@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks great, so cute! I was looking for a tutorial for a needle book and this looks perfect.

    I am going to email you at craftyladylindsay at gmail.com as on your About Me page (posting that here as it's easier for others to find)

    Thanks! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Someone gave me one like this and I love it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. would love to have this pattern please....e-mail smokey.50@live.ca thank you


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Received the pattern...thank you very much...

      Delete
  16. Would love the pattern but cannot find an email to send you the request. woocorner123@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hola me encantó el porta agujas... podrías enviarme el patron... un saludo afectuoso desde CostaRica..
    Mi correo es: nanica@racsa.co.cr o nanicave@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Would love to have the pattern ? But cant find your email ????

    ReplyDelete
  19. I would love a copy of your platter please. Email is seamstress.suzi@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Would love the pattern. would you email it to me please? thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. These will make beautiful Christmas gifts. May I please have a copy of the pattern noodlethestaffy@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. May I please have this pattern? Thank you!
    cardsbycarla@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. May I have a copy of this pattern, quilter.maw@sbcglobal.net Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm trying to get organized in my sewing area. I think this will be a great help! I also love how it folds up so cute :) please email the pattern to me at kfloren63@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. me encantaria tener este patron. podria enviarmelo a "sierra.gnr@gmail.com". Gracias

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Would love the pattern but cannot find an email to send you the request. Could you send me one at raverlygirl at yahoo .com thanks

    ReplyDelete
  29. so lovely!!! i would love the pattern and make som for christmas presents! can you please mail me the pattern? nicoleheuten@hotmail.com thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Would like to have this pattern for the heart shape needle holder. Great stocking stuffer. bwabit@hughes.net

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh its sooo lovely. Is it possible to get the pattern - this would be a very lovely quick x-mas present.
    Thank you so much. Luv Anke
    made-by-anke@gmx.de

    ReplyDelete