Pages

March 13, 2011

Punch Card / Credit Card Holder


This is one of those projects I LOVE to do, because it is quick and turns out so cute! 
These adorable little pouches are just the right size for all those point cards and punch cards that we all collect - and it makes them easy to find in your purse (which, if it is anything like mine, is always very full!)

I first saw this idea here at Moda Bake Shop.  I have added a couple of my own steps to the tutorial, just to make it a bit easier.

Start with 2 pieces of coordinating fabric, 5" x 10", and 1 piece of interfacing the same size. 
I was making 2 pouches at once, so the picture below shows two sets of fabric cut, with the interfacing ironed on to the wrong side of one of the pieces of fabric. 

Now, I know what you are thinking.  I hate getting out my iron!  Ditto.
For small projects like this I have a little secret...
I use my flat iron.  Yup!  The same one I use for my hair (although to tell you the truth, it has been used more for fabric than for hair lately:) ).
It is great because I don't have to pull out my iron and ironing board, and the flat iron heats up SUPER fast!  So, just in case you have one - you could try that! :)

With right sides together, sew the two pieces of fabric around all 4 sides, with 1/4" seam allowance.  Leave a 2" opening on one short edge for turning. 
With a cup or bowl, trace a half circle at the end opposite the opening, and sew along the curve. 
Trim the excess fabric, close to the curve.  You can also clip the corners at the opening end. 
Turn right side out and iron flat.  (You betcha!  I used my flat iron for this too!)
Sew the opening closed with a top stitch along that one short edge, about 1/8" from the edge. 
Fold the short sewn edge toward the curved edge about 3".  This is how the little pocket is made, but before it gets sewn, make sure you sew the velcro on!  As you can see, it is a couple of inches down the pocket.  Figure out exactly where it should be placed by folding the curved edge down and noting where it meets the pocket. 
When you sew the velcro on, I suggest sewing the prickly side onto the flat pocket end, and the fuzzy side onto the rounded flap end.  It is easier to sew the button on through the fuzzy side of the velcro. 
Now you can fold up the flat end and this time, top stitch around the two sides and the top curve, about 1/8" from the edge.
And that is all the machine sewing you do for this little pocket!
The last step is to sew a button onto the flap, over the spot where the velcro is sewn on. 
It is just a faux button, and will cover the thread marks. 
These are so easy, and would be a really fun little gift to give someone! 
Bright colors make it easy to find when you have to whip out that punch card at your favorite restaurant or craft store!
So, go make yourself a few!

image signature

Check out these parties I often link up to!

18 comments:

  1. Those turned out so cute!! I want to make one now :) Thanks for the tutorial!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! I am definitely making some of these... thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsay - Another home run. I just love these punch card pockets and your tutorial is very good. I think I can even do these. I really want to get back into sewing and these would be great to start with and use up some of my small pieces of material.

    Thank you for telling me about how to link my email address to my blogger account. I think I did it correct, but if not, please let me know.

    Now I am going to work on how to link back to someone else's blog that I have posted about in my Blog. I have been busy making cards for a card swap and now I am finished. Can get on to something else fun.

    Thanks for all your help. Again...I love your Blog.

    CountryGirl Hugs,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are really cute --- thanks for the quick and easy tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great little purses- I love that you added buttons and velcro too!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, how cute are these??? You could use them for giving gift cards, too! Found you through Craft-O-Maniac, and now I'm a new follower. ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very Cute! I'm hosting my first Linky party and would love for you to submit to it!
    http://runwithglitter.blogspot.com/2011/03/glitters-first-linky-party_22.html#comments

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE those! And being a new sewer I could actually do that! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are adorable! Tank you for sharing the tutorial, visiting from Tatertots & Jello

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ok, the flat iron trick is genious!!!!!! I truly love it, I'm sure I'll find more things to use the flat iron for since I use it on my hair about twice a year. domesticdeadline.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG - I made these years ago but I used mine to hold maxi pads - subtle and discreet. clever.

    TFS
    xo
    tina
    embellishments by tina

    ReplyDelete
  12. so cute! you are SO talented!
    BTW...i use my flat iron to smooth beading thread...but i never thought to use on fabric!
    flat iron is much easier to control temp, i think!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was wondering. How many cards will one hold? I love this and was thinking I could use material that matches my purse!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was wondering. How many cards will one hold? I love this and was thinking I could use material that matches my purse!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire,
      It probably holds a good 20 cards at least. I can't remember, and I've since retired mine:) But it was very useful, and nice and roomy.
      Good luck!
      Lindsay

      Delete
  15. Hi there,
    Thank you so much for the post you do and also I like your post, Are you looking for BLUE METH Online at best rates in the whole USA? We are providing Buy Xtc Ecstasy Pills,Buy Ketamine Powder online,Buy Valium Powder Online,Buy BLUE METH Online,Buy Aderrall Online,Buy Andro Online,Buy Cbd Isolate Online,Buy DecaDurabolin Online,Buy Filybol Online,Buy Oxycontin Online,Buy Quality Lsd Acid,Order Best Quality Gamma,Goblin LSD Online,Buy Gamma,Goblin LSD Online,Buy California Sunrise LSD,Buy Promethazine Codeine Online,Buy Hydrocodone/Vicodin Online,Buy Liquide & Powder Ketamin,Buy Blue Purnisher Ecstasy with the well price and our services are very fast.

    Click here for MORE DETAILS.....

    EMAIL: MDMAFORSALE@GMAIL.COM

    ReplyDelete
  16. TECHNOLOGY DESIGNED FOR YOU TOP PROFESSIONAL IT SOLUTIONS AND SERVICES Consectetur adipiscing elit

    get consigned today

    ReplyDelete