Pages

August 18, 2011

Roman Numeral Date Handpainted Sign



If you haven't noticed, I love making painted signs :)  And these ones with only 2 colors are SO EASY!
I have had this idea of writing my wedding date in roman numerals, and hanging it next to other wedding related pictures I have on the wall...
I love the way it turned out!


I used the same method here as I did on my washroom sign.  Head over to that post for a more detailed tutorial. 
Remember - You do NOT need a Silhouette to do this project!!
I have made many handpainted signs without using my Silhouette.  Here is one example.


I did go ahead and create a stencil with vinyl for this sign - and it took me about 20 minutes total to finish the project. 


I made a quick reference chart of all the roman numerals you would need to make a sign with a date.
If I had been married in the 1900's I definitely would have considered going with the year only.  But being married in the 2003 - MMIII is just to boring to have all by itself :)


For example: 1982 (the year my parents were married) is a womping: MCMLXXXII
That would look cool all by itself, without the month and day!

I am not going to explain how to read that roman numeral in this post, but it is not hard.  I am sure a quick google search could explain it to you.  Otherwise, feel free to just use my easy chart:) 

I'll do one more example for you, the year I was born, 1983:
Start with the 1000 (Roman Numeral = M), next comes 900 (Roman Numeral = CM), next comes 80 (Roman Numeral = LXXX), last comes 3 (Roman Numeral = III)...all put together 1983 is MCMLXXXIII.
Pretty simple, but let me know if you have any questions!

I think this would make a KILLER wedding gift!  Not to mention a fun birthday or anniversary gift.  I just love mine!


image signature


 
 

6 comments:

  1. I want to hire you to make me a sign. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely idea! :)

    Found your post via DIY by Design blog. :)

    xoxo
    Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Thanks so much for adding the table, it makes it so easier for me to do! I featured this on my Friday 5, have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I am totally impressed and may have to swipe this idea!!! I am hosting a Mirror Week over at my blog starting today {and frames and other awesome wall art}! Feel free to head over there and link this awesome project up! :)
    Nat
    doodlecraft.blogspot

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice...easy peasy and love that you've given all the tools needed...including the roman numerals! POP ART MINIS

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute way to display a date! I love that it's quick and easy to do, too :)

    ReplyDelete