Pages

September 4, 2010

Patching up some Holey Jeans

I love how this project turned out! I love when projects turn out just as good as you envisioned!

Part of my love probably stems from the fact that I love these jeans. They fit my daughter so well, the shape is so cute on her!
They were actually given as hand me downs from I can’t even remember who. They may have even come with some small holes already started in the knees. So, when they became big holes, I was kindof sad.
I decided to take a risk, and cut them up.
So, I lined up the outside of each leg on the cutting mat against a ruler edge. Then, I cut out the holey section of the jean with straight lines. I made sure that I cut out the same size strip from each leg, and at the same height.
I unstitched one seam of the cut strip in order to make myself a pattern for the new fabric.
Now, let me tell you about this fabric I am adding into the jean. This is my leftover edge from the Princess and the Pea quilt that I did. So, these were “mattresses.” I had really messed up with the spacing on that one, so I had cut a substantial amount off – enough to do this project.
I like the effect on the jeans so much though, that I would make blocks of fabric again like this specifically for jeans. So, basically those were 2” strips of coordinating fabric that were sewn together lengthwise.

I took my holey strips, and used them as a guide for cutting the new fabric.

PLEASE KEEP IN MIND: The long section of jean is the right measurement, because it already has a seam allowance factored in. That is from unstitching the jean. But the WIDTH is not fine. It should be ½” wider than your jean strip, to account for the seams! I messed up here. As you can see in the picture, I cut around my jean strip exactly. I didn’t realize this until I had sewed it on - but I was able to make up for it with the second strip. It worked out fine, but it would have been better to do it right.
It would have made the jean ½” shorter overall had I not fixed my mistake.
Once you have the new fabric cut properly, take the two short ends and sew them right sides together – using the same seam allowance that your jean had. Mine had ¼” seams.
Then, using the jean strip you cut out as a guide again, figure out which part of your new fabric is top and which part is bottom. The jeans probably flare slightly, which means there will be a correct top and bottom.

Once you figure this out, turn your new fabric inside out and slip it over the leg of the jean. Place that correct edge flush with the cut jean, and pin. Right sides will be together. Sew with 1/4” seam allowance, and finish with a zig-zag stitch right along the edge.
Now, I didn’t know yet that I wanted 2 strips in my jeans, so I sewed the bottom half of the jeans on and had my daughter try them on.
Again, flip the bottom part of the jean inside out, and line up the raw edges – right sides of fabric together. Sew with 1/4” seam allowance, and finish with a zig-zag stitch right along the edge.
Now, this was pretty cute – but I wanted more. I loved the stripy fabric so much, that I decided to add another strip.
I did everything the same way (this time accounting for seam allowance plus some to fix my mistake), and sewed in one more strip on each leg.
I LOVE how they turned out. I keep making Joss twirl for me so I can admire them. Yeah for projects that turn out great! Plus it took me less than 2 hours from start to finish - including all the kiddy interruptions:)



image signature


3 comments:

  1. C ute! And.. my goodness, Jocelyn looks so cute! She is looking way to grown up.. We need to see you guys again soon.

    ReplyDelete