Pages

March 9, 2011

Subway Art - Glass Milk Bottle - Pen Holders (Great for Teacher Appreciation!)

  

I got my hands on some of these gorgeous glass milk bottles, and have been saving them for the perfect crafts!  They are so thick and beautiful, they make me giddy with the possiblities :)

As part of our teacher appreciation, we recognize the parent classroom helpers in addition to the teachers.  Each grade has a parent or two, and we give them a gift on the same night that we give gifts to the teachers.  I needed to make 10 parent gifts, and these bottles were calling to me. 
I created some subway art on my Silhouette, using words that exemplified these wonderful parents.  I cut out the words in vinyl, and wrapped the words around the entire bottle...
I used words like: creative, supportive, patient, bright, friendly, kind, generous - and added the name of our school and their title in the classroom.  They look SO COOL, and so personal!!
When they are filled with colored dried beans, the letters really pop!
With light colored vinyl I used black or red beans; with black vinyl I used white beans...
And to add a bit of color, along with making them useful, I made a few flower pens for each jar.
They are very simple.  You need:
A ball point pen, some fake flowers with a short stem, a glue gun and green floral tape. 
1) Hot glue the flower stem to the top part of the ball point pen.
2) Put a dab of glue at the bottom edge of the pen and press the end of the floral tape to it.
3) Wrap the pen with the floral tape, at an angle, all the way up the pen, covering the stem that you glued on.
4) Put a dab of hot glue to secure the end of the floral tape at the top.
I am so excited to give these gifts to the parents - because everyone can use a place to store their pens, and it is always handy to have pens at the ready on your desk or in the kitchen.



I made this subway art with all sorts of clever phrases, fun for any teacher, or even your desk at home!
Write on!  Letter Rip!  UR always write,
Choose the Write,  Word,  Pick me!

What do you think?  Aren't they fun?! 

Be sure to check out many of my other Teacher Appreciation gift ideas on my tutorials page!

I'll help you make a teacher very happy:)


image signature

41 comments:

  1. I am sure they will love the pens and the milk jars! I have been wanting to make the pens for a while now. I am putting them on my to-do list, thanks to your step by step instructions. I also love the diet coke key chain.
    denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another fantastic project! These look so cool, you're too creative! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently found you and {heart} and so I spotlighted you at Between the Lines Spotlight Saturday! Check it out!

    Jasey @ Crazy Daisy
    crazyjayzplace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, silly me! Here's a link http://www.betweenthelines-kel.com/

    Jasey

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those Pen holder jars are absolutely adorable!!! I am a new follower from spotlight saturday and would love it if you could follow me back! I hope you have a Super Saturday!

    Hope
    http://www.peanutbutterandhopey.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a darling idea!! So creative. I love every detail of them. I'm a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So Cute! Will def. have to add this to my "to-Do" List!!

    Found you through the SS Linkup..... Would love for you to come visit back!!

    ♥, Tara

    www.FabuLESSly Crafty.com


    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! You are so talented!

    I'm a new follower from the hop. Hope you can follow back:
    http://stylendecordeals.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. New follower from the Spotlight Saturday blog hop!
    I have a silhouette but haven't tried to do anything with vinyl yet, though I do have some ideas!
    You can check out my blog at http://blog.concertkatie.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very, very cute! I love these milk jars also and the subway art on them is genius. I'm a new follower I and would love if you would follow back at funkymomcards.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! I love those bottles. What a fun gift to give.
    http://itsybitsypaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh I really like them. They are so different. I will check out your shop. My husband and I have made a firm commitment to only by handmade and American.
    I am a new visitor and follower via Spotlight Saturday.
    I hope your weekend is blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love how these turned out! They will be much appreciated by those that receive them!

    So nice stopping by to visit with you!

    Kindly, Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super Cute! What a clever idea! Over from Flamingo Toes.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love these. Really cute. I want some for my own. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are lovely, would look fab in my kitchen! I only wish I could find the milk bottles, been looking for ages!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Those are wonderful! I really like your idea!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cool!
    I love glass jar and bottles for some odd reason and am always keeping certain ones.
    I love the subway art on them!!
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those are ADORABLE! Great job!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. These jars look fantastic - and practical too (love the flower pens). Hope you sell lots in your shop! I'm sure you will!

    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a cute idea! I'm always looking for good teacher appreciation ideas and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. So pretty! I'd love for you to share this at my Make Something Mondays Link Party!

    http://sarahndipities.blogspot.com/2011/03/make-something-monday-link-party-2.html

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great teacher gift, bet they love them! Unique vase idea!!!

    Visiting from Craft-O-Maniac's blog party! Stop by and visit me @ cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com !!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love them....the subway art is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cool idea! They look great! :D

    ReplyDelete
  26. The subway art looks so great on the bottles! What a great gift idea!
    Thanks so much for linking to Think Pink Sundays!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea and certainly interchangeable for other holidays/occasions. Thanks so much for sharing the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love these bottles, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMGoodness I'm lovin' those vases. excellent idea. too cute!

    thanks so much for linking up with the SPRING FLING!
    have a super weekend.

    xo
    kellie

    ReplyDelete
  30. I always see these and think they're so cute. I'd love to make some for work. Everyone would be so jealous of my pretty pens!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Now that's really a great idea. Great inspiration. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lindsay=

    If I received this as a teacher gift when I was in the classroom, I would have been floored. Love. Love. Love. It was so rare when parents gave me anything at all. Then again, I taught in a rough neighborhood in Chicago...

    This is reason #342 I need a SIL.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Almost forgot, I'd LOVE if you could share this with my readers tonight @
    Creative Juice Thursday. Party starts @ 7pm CST. Get your crafting shoes on. Hope to see you there...

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love them!
    You did a great job... thanks for posting the wonderful pictures.

    Buffie
    http://scrappingwithbuffie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are awesome!! Thanks for sharing on Living Creative Thursday! You were featured here: http://www.livinglocurto.com/2013/05/6-diy-teacher-appreciation-gifts/

    ReplyDelete