When I first started making dinner for my family, and particularly my kids, I had a few go-to recipes in my arsenal, which I made quite often. Most of them came from my mom, who is an excellent cook - and can whip anything together, and make any creation and conglomeration of ingredients taste fantastic!
After a while you have to mix things up a bit, of course, and so I try, just about every week, to make something new - to see if it will become one of the family faves.
So, I read magazines, go to recipe club, peruse recipe blogs, watch the food network, and print off, tear out, or write down recipes that I would like to try. I would say about half of them don't pan out (get it, pan out?...okay not so funny??) but some of them do - and I keep a giant binder of recipes on hand in the kitchen. Some are recipes waiting to be tried, and most are recipes that we go back to often.
When I saw this post by Flamingo Toes, I bookmarked it right away, because I wanted a cute cover for my recipe binder too! I don't quite have the patience for the needlework though, so I modified mine just a little bit. I think it turned out great, and I love the way it matches my kitchen!
So, I took a piece of canvas drop cloth that I have been using for a bunch of projects (like here and here), and followed the directions that Flamingo Toes gives for cutting a piece the right size - and marking the edges of the binder.
Then I sewed some zig zag lines from top to bottom, where the edge of the spine ended up...
...and I used colors that match my kitchen: blue, green and yellow.
Then, as I said, I am too lazy to needlepoint the words, so I decided to use paint! This is my second project using freezer paper as a stencil, and it is pretty fun. (My first project here gives more info).
I cut out the letters out of the freezer paper using my Silhouette, and ironed them down so that they would show on the front and spine of the binder.
I carefully dabbed a very small amount of acrylic paint in each letter, alternating between dark blue, light blue and green, to match my stitches and my kitchen!
Once it was dry, I peeled of the freezer paper, and the letters looked great!
Next I found an old spoon...
And hammered it flat (or at least I tried). It ended up really hammered...with dents and scratches that I didn't like...
So I put a piece of vinyl over it :)
I hot glued the fabric cover right onto the binder (just like Flamingo Toes described in her tutorial), and I hot glued the spoon onto the front.
And that was it! Quick project - which turned out so cute! And I went from boring this....
To beautiful THIS!!...
And it just makes cooking so much more fun!