Pages

February 4, 2011

Headboard into Beautiful Stained Bench





Photobucket


So, during my three week long winter break (wow, seams like a very distant memory now...)
but I made another bench from a headboard and footboard, for my sister (lucky ducky!!)!

This one is pretty spectacular, if I do say so myself:)
My sister has a very active almost 2 year old boy, and this thing is so solid, that it will be able to withstand anything that boy throws at it...even himself.

I give a pretty detailed tutorial in my other headboard bench post, but I will walk you through the making of this one as well...because as I said when making the other one - every headboard/footboard combination is different....and you have to adjust and modify your steps for every little tiny uniqueness...

So, my dad picked up these beauties...a headboard and footboard made of solid wood - with very pretty designs and knobs.







Photobucket


As you can see, both are rather short.  The footboard is a perfect height for the arms, but the headboard needed to be raised for a proper back height. 
So, we (meaning my handy dad and I) figured out the height we wanted to seat to be at (about 20"). 

Since we knew that the seat was going to be attached at the bottom most part of the headboard ... we added 2x4s onto the legs after measuring the proper length, allowing for the fact that part of that 2x4 would be used for attaching the seat box.  (see the picture a few down to see what I mean)

We glued and screwed the extension pieces together, and screwed the extension into the existing part of the leg. 








Photobucket








Photobucket







Photobucket


Using 1x4s, we built a seat box - glued and nailed all the pieces together - and bolted it into the front of the headboard.








Photobucket









Photobucket


The depth of the seat box was about 16 inches, and we wanted the arms to overhang the front by a couple of inches, to accommodate the wood that was jutting out at the ends of the footboard.
After measuring the length of the arms, we cut the footboard - and screwed each arm into the back of the bench.
We used a level to make sure that everything was lined up, and later used a level to screw the seat box into the arms properly. 








Photobucket









Photobucket


You can see the screw holes all along the back edge...but the front part of the arm is screwed into the seat box from the inside, to hide the screws.  We liked the look of the arms from the outside, and didn't want to have the screws or any bolts showing from the outside if we could help it.








Photobucket


Below is a view of the bench with the seat box bolted to the back, and the arms screwed on. 
Because we didn't put bolts through the arms and into the sides of the seat box on this one, we added strips of wood to the front, to support the front part of the seat. 







Photobucket


I will reiterate here that we were liberal with the wood glue, and the brad nailer/nail gun!






Photobucket


My dad had these GORGEOUS oak boards that he had been saving for over 10 years...and he generously contributed a few of them to this project!
The are very sturdy, the grain is beautiful, and each piece is unique.  They came from a friend's oak tree, which had been cut down from his yard years ago.  He worked very hard to plane the edges so that they fit snugly together without any gaps....









Photobucket


And once it was all done, we nailed the seat into the cross pieces of the seat box...and stained the whole bench the same color as the original headboard and footboard...
It was also sprayed with a clear coat finish - and will probably be sprayed again with a clear coat in the spring, when it is not so dang cold outside!








Photobucket


The bench is a beautiful natural color...







Photobucket


And during the summer, it will sit on my sister's porch - for everyone to enjoy while the kids play outside!







Photobucket


This was another huge accomplishment - and we LOVE how it turned out.  And believe me when I tell you - it is addicting!  You will be on the constant lookout for headboards that will work once you have successfully made one of these. 
I have no doubt that someday we will make a few more:)







Photobucket


image signature


23 comments:

  1. Wow! What an amazing transformation! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love, love, LOVE this! I've wanted to do something like this for a while. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with this!! I'm going on a hunt for a head board now. I have to make this!! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so beautiful! What a wonderful piece. I know my readers would love to see this too. I have a Monday & Wed. Blog Hop (both different) & we would love for you to join us. Hope to see you..Barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is lovely! Totally makes me want to toss out my plain junk store bench (that I was in love with 5 minutes ago lol)and go shopping for a headboard! Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful job! Love it!

    Sue @ Beach Bungalow
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow super cute! It looks incredible. You should sell the benches you make! Found you thru love stitched's linky!

    Heidi
    www.honeybearlane.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. That bench is amazing! You are quite clever! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I L.O.V.E. this! Thanks for linking up to Fantastic Friday. Stop by this week because I am featuring your awesome bench! I cannot wait to see what you share this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've seen these done before, but yours is so very classy! Thanks for sharing ... I'll be linking. And please come join my link party anytime!

    http://childmade.com/index.php?name=Shared%20links

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is such an incredible project. I would love to feature you on my blog, Reduce, Reuse, Upcycle.

    Thanks!

    http://reduceandupcycle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks fantastic! I have sooo been on the lookout for a headboard and foot board. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks so classy! I love it! My husband is working on a similar one (much smaller). Thanks for the inspiration!
    ~Danylle

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow - great job. Looks like it's always been a bench. Dropping by from Furniture Feature Friday. Hope you'll drop by to see my chairs.

    Allison
    Atticmag

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stunning - nice work. Thanks for the tutorial. I'm pinning it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hopped over from RR
    Beautiful bench! They are addictive aren't they? Just can't make one!
    I'm hoping to make several this winter. (I have LOTS of inventory in storage)
    great job!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really like your writing style, great information, thankyou for posting. loose headboard

    ReplyDelete