August 21, 2010

Princess and the Pea Quilt

I have had my eye on this pattern for a long time.  I think it is so clever.
You can find it here at Moda Bake Shop.

I did use a Honey Bun - because it is so easy to have everything cut straight and even.  The other pieces for the back and ruffle I found at the regular fabric store though - just chose something I thought matched.

You might notice that on the finished product I have those extra yellow blocks of fabric on the sides in order to make it the right width.  That is because once I had sewn all 40 strips together, it was NOT straight.  I had to cut of a substantial amount to make the edges straight.  It was bad.  I don't know exactly what I did wrong - though the fabric was a bit stretchy - so I guess I just pulled at it a little too much while I was sewing. 

After sewing the 40 strips together, it says to iron the seams toward the top.  This took me a little while, until I could get the iron just right.  I found that if I put the tip of the iron just to the left of the seam, and had the iron up at an angle, it folded the seam in the right direction before ironing it flat.  These pictures try to show it a little. 

Here is a picture of it inside out. 
And the final product!  (Although I still havn't sewed my pea button on yet).
I am pretty happy with it.  Not that we need one more blankie around the house though:)

image signature


  1. Oh that is sooooo cute! I love it! You did good!

  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

  3. Oh my gosh - I LOVE THAT! When I start quilting again (when I get a machine), I really want to do that. Seriously, adorable!