Pages

December 5, 2010

Handprint Snowman Ornaments

Saw these here on Full of Great Ideas, and knew that I had to make some with my girls. 
Each year, I give my kids an ornament, just like my mom did for me every year growing up!
These are their ornaments for this year, and I love that they are personalized with their little hand print.
A friend gave me the red ornaments she was getting rid of, but you can find them pretty inexpensively.

I printed out their name and the year, and mod podged the paper onto the back of the ornament.  This one above is mine to keep forever and ever:)
Also, because the paint can chip and scrape off fairly easily, I painted a VERY thin coat of mod podge over the hand print as well.  The black eyes and mouth were done with a thin sharpie.  The scarves, nose and buttons (and the hand print) were done with acrylic paint.
 Quick and fun project!
image signature
Visit thecsiproject.com

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea...the tradition of a new ornament each is perfect! I have a beautiful purple and gold tree that I put up for a few years... but I am back to my traditional red and green with all of the hand made ornaments that myself and my family and friends have made over the years... I love putting my tree up and taking a "walk down memory lane" while I am! Have a very Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! A keepsake to be sure! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made these today with my 3rd grade class. As soon as the tempera paint dried it flaked right off the ornament! Can anyone tell me what I did wrong or how to correct it? They were adorable for about an hour! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy,
      That is so sad :( My guesses: tempura paint might not be as adherent as acrylic paint. Secondly, I did cover mine with a thin layer of mod podge afterward (and clear polyurethane spray would probably be even better). Hope you can figure something out!
      Lindsay

      Delete