Pages

December 3, 2010

Upcycled Sweater Cowl Scarf

These are another one of those easy, inexpensive (even free!) things to make.  It can make a great gift, or add a little variety to your winter wardrobe.
So, I caught my friend today almost taking all of these sweaters to Good Will (gasp!  has she never heard of upcycling?? lol).  So I saved her a trip and took them all off her hands:)  (She was thrilled.  My husband is thrilled too; I am sure).
Can't you just see all the untapped potential?!
 Well, first things first, I had seen this blog post a while back, and thought I would start there. 
 Cut the sweater, from top to bottom, about 7" wide. 
With right sides together, sew along 3 sides, leaving the finished, short edge unsewn (This edge used to be the bottom of the sweater, and was never cut, so still has a nice clean edge).  Turn right side out through the open end. 
 With the open end on the right, fold the left down....
 and then fold the right side down, covering up the left side.
 Choose your buttons, and decide where you want them to be. 
 Sew the buttons onto the scarf, all the way through the layers!  This will hold your scarf together, and ultimately, you will just slip this on over your head.  Easy!  No real buttons to mess with!
 I made one that looks ADORABLE on my daughter. 
 And then I made this one a little longer, for me:)

Now, go clean out your closet, and make yourself a cowl scarf! 
And let me know if you have any ideas of what I can do with the rest of these sweaters! ;)
image signature


I am linking up to:

16 comments:

  1. Those turned out really nice! Great idea to use old sweaters for that. As for the rest of your stash, I've seen old sweaters turned into really nice pillows...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it!! I love upcycling sweaters!! This is just adorable. Would you mind linking this up to the Baby & Child Gift Idea link party on my blog? http://findingmyaloha.blogspot.com/2010/12/gift-ideas-for-little-ones-link-party.html

    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did such a great job! It's super cute! Would love for you to link up to Made with Love Monday at Sew Chatty! http://sewchatty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh how I wish I had that stash of knits! Stephanie at Under the Table and Dreaming uses them on candle hurricanes here...
    http://www.bystephanielynn.com/2010/09/more-recycled-sweater-vases-easy-simple.html

    I use them to make baby pants here...
    http://findingmyaloha.blogspot.com/2010/09/diy-five-minute-sweater-pants-for.html

    And Stephanie at Deviantly Domesticated made arm warmers (and would make cute baby legs) here..
    http://stephaniehillberry.com/

    Hope that gives you enough inspiration to get through your pile ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome idea! What a great use of some old sweaters. This would be a fun project for the holidays. thank you for sharing. I am now following your blog. Hope that you will pop by my blog, too.
    Also, you should join Montessori by Hand. I am moderating that group and there are many folks in the group who would love to make some of the crafty items that you make.
    So fun and festive! Love the snowman ornaments, too:) Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great use for an old sweater! I love the big, bright buttons you used on the one for your daughter. SO cute! I linked to your tutorial over at Craft Gossip Sewing:
    http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-cowl-scarf-from-an-old-sweater-2/2010/12/09/

    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  7. Felt any wool ones for cuffs, purses, even ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am "fixated" on re-fashioning old sweaters lately. I made some darling pumpkins for Thanksgiving out of orange wool sweaters (felted) with green wool for the stems. Christmas stockings out of old wool Christmas sweaters are so darling! You can even cover a glass or bowl or flower pot with snowflake sweaters and fill them with candy canes and holly greens. So cute! Cupcake pincushions out of sweater parts are the most fun.
    Thanks for sharing your sweet "cowl scarf" with all of us. I can see my 3 yr. old granddaughter, Chloe Jane, wearing one.
    Happy Holidays.
    nettie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Looks better than the cowls I've knitted!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Lindsay! Wow, those are so cute! I love the simplicity of it, I've done fleece scarves this shape but always had real buttonholes, and they are finicky to place. Love this version, genius!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea! Wish I still had those sweaters I made my husband get rid of. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used your tutorial to make my own!
    http://thecraftymamablog.blogspot.com/2010/12/upcycled-cown-neck-scarf.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great idea! I just made Christmas stockings out of my old sweaters. They are great and each one is unique. You can incorporate the unique features of the sweater into your stocking - like buttons, or a pouch pocket. I'm temporarily using two sleeves sewn together and stuffed with the scraps as a draft stopper for the door. Just for winter time and baby playing on the floor

    ReplyDelete
  14. So excited that I found the perfect sweaters for this! Now to find the time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this!!!! I've been searching different ideas on the cowl scarf and this is the one I've been wanting. thank you!!! I'm so excited to make one tonight!

    ReplyDelete